Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Change your Airfilter Save $


I've been monitoring my house with a BlueLine Energy monitor. It's a device that watches how much electricity my house uses in real time. Well it came in handy in determining how to save a little money on the air conditioner. I have very expensive air filters in my home, they are sized 25x24x4 and run about $30 at Lowes or Home Depot. I tend to try to let them stay up there and run as long as possible. I noticed once they start getting clogged a bit, I can begin to hear the air conditioner work harder, and hear a slight whistle when it gets really clogged.

Well I had calendered to change it out at 6 months, which would have been February, so two months later, I did a baseline cost of running the a/c with the dirty filter which was .35 cents an hour. After putting in the new filter, the cost was now running at .32 cents an hour. This doesn't sound like much, but over the span of a month during the summertime with both of my filters running part time, that is going to be a savings of between $14 and $20 a month. If I was to delay a filter change over the summer, it is false economy to stretch the filter life by very much, plus the extra wear and tear on the fan motors.

No comments: